Ah September, my favourite month of the year! There’s something about it, perhaps it’s the back-to-school feeling, it’s like a fresh start halfway through the year. I always crack out a fresh journal in September, have a big sort out at home, get heavily into meal planning. And at the same time, the air is changing, becoming crisper and fresher, the nights are drawing in and getting cosier, and the anticipation of autumn is palpable. I love September, so my September to do list is my favourite to compile!
- Pull out my autumnal candles and get burning them! I like to have delicious candles in the hallway, bedroom, living room, kitchen and my office, to really get those hygge vibes going. I’ve got a stack of cinnamon-pumpkin-coffee-mulled wine scents just waiting to be lit!
- Get the living room ready for autumn. Our living room is kinda in an almost there state right now. Other than a bookcase (I still haven’t found the perfect one) we’re pretty much there, everything just needs a little styling. I want to pull out some cosy blankets for the sofa, move the lamps around (they’re currently just in the corner where I plugged them in to see if they worked – oops), get some new glasses for our bar cart, pull my coffee table books out of storage, get some curtains made for our giant windows and style up the little shelving unit we have under the TV. We spend a lot of time in the living room in August so I want it to be perfect – then perhaps I can put a tour up on the blog!
- Go berry foraging and bake a blackberry crumble. Is there anything more joyous than a crisp September walk, picking wild blackberries until your fingers are stained purple, taking them home (after you’ve eaten a fair few on the walk) and baking them into a delicious crumble? I shared my favourite crumble recipe last year, I can’t wait to bake another!
- Set up a new bullet journal. I’ve got it ready and waiting in my desk to go, and this time around I want to incorporate more personal journalling rather than just planning and to do lists. I’ve got some ideas for a habit tracker and a gratitude log, and I want to start adding in some daily journaling too!
- Join a yoga class. Since I moved back my yoga practice has been strictly restricted to my living room, but I want to join a local class now I’m getting a little stronger. I’ve found a gym nearby that does Ashtanga Yoga (my favourite) as well as Body Balance for when I’m feeling even stronger, and my health insurance plan offers me a 50% discount on membership, so I’ve got no excuse really!
- Prep some slow cooker meals and chuck them in the freezer. Aside from the fact they’ll be handy for those days when you get home from work and can’t be bothered to cook, I’ve got another surgery looming at the end of the month and they’ll be very handy for my recovery! My mum recommended the New Leaf Wellness Whole 30 Slow Cooker Freezer Meal Plan, a 30 day meal plan of Whole 30 approved meals that you make up in bulk and chuck in your freezer, designed to be dumped in the slow cooker in the morning and ready for dinner. Sounds perfect!
- Plan a winter getaway. After the fairly terrible Christmas we had last year with a lot of family stuff going on, Connor and I are toying with the idea of spending Christmas out of the country this year. We’re hoping that a little getaway might stop us from stewing on the awful events of last year, and might help us feel refreshed ready for a new year! I need to crack open a few guide books and get planning!
What’s on your September to do list?