When I was packing for our Christmas escape to New York, I found a real shortage of practical packing guides, particularly for winter in the city. With that in mind, I tried to make a real note whilst we were there of what I wouldn’t have wanted to be without and what I wish I’d packed too, to put together a little packing for winter in NYC guide.
- A lot of thermals. With temperatures peaking during our trip at around -8 celcius, let me tell you, thermals were a must. It was so cold that after ten minutes outside my face physically hurt, so I can’t imagine what going out without thermals would have felt like. I can highly recommend the Uniqlo Heat Tech range + Primark’s microfibre lined tights, I got my moneys worth out of both!
- Snow Boots. Even when it wasn’t snowing, the roads were so icy that we needed the grip of our snow boots. I recommend ones that come up past the ankle so you can tuck your trousers in for maximum warmth!
- Super thick socks. Even with snow boots on after half an hour walking (and believe me, you’ll spend longer than that walking) my toes were freezing. Queue a quick purchase of some super thick hiking socks that did the trick nicely (and made my boots that extra bit more comfortable).
- A portable phone charger. The freezing cold weather wreaks absolute havoc on your phone, mine wasn’t sure which way was up, the camera was freaking out and most importantly, the battery was draining three times as fast as usual. I pretty much had to keep it plugged into my portable charger just to keep it on, so make sure you pack a heavy duty one!
- Good gloves. I slipped my favourite cashmere gloves into my bag, thinking they’d be enough – oh how wrong I was! I ended up picking up a new pair of double lined ones while we were there, so pack the warmest gloves you have!
- Blister plasters. Whether it’s just how far you walk, or the pain of seven days in snow boots, trust me, you’ll be glad you packed these.
- Heavy duty moisturisers. The cold weather drains the moisture from your skin so fast, you’ll be glad of a good thick moisturiser you can slather on your hands and face at the end of the day! Don’t forget a thick lip balm too, to help prevent chapped lips.
- Bath products. Trust me, after a day out in the cold, all you’ll want is a long soak in a hot bath! Chuck in a small bubble bar, or a little bottle of your favourite bath oil.
What are your winter travel must haves?